Legend has it that Florida’s beach community of Indian Rocks Beach reputedly got its name when a native medicine man miraculously healed his chief with the waters from a natural sulfur spring believed to have been located in Kolb Park across from Indian Rocks Beach City Hall. Early settlers seeing the Indians on their way to the “rock encircled spring” would say, “The Indians are on their way to the rocks.” Indian Rocks Beach is located at 27°53′45″N82°50′51″W (27.895799, -82.847550). It lies on a barrier island between the Gulf of Mexico and the Intracoastal Waterway. It is north of Indian Shores and south of Belleair Shore and Belleair Beach. Tourism is its primary industry. It was incorporated in 1956. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), of which 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) (33.09%) is water.